Sunday, 9th May 2021
Logo Islandinfo
Mauritius in your hands            

Find in Mauritius

Sight Seeing
Eating Out
Body & Soul
Real Estate
Mauritius Map
Mauritius Online Magazine May 2017 Issue
Expatriates in Mauritius
Mauritius Discovery
Mauritius Explore
Mauritius Escape

Forthcoming Events
in Mauritius

Events & Galleries
in Mauritius
Min: 19 Max: 27
Partly Cloudy
Other regions of Mauritius
11 Nov 2010

Chelsea increased their lead at the top of the Barclays Premier League to four points after they won 1-0 at home to Fulham and the Manchester derby ended in stalemate.

Michael Essien gave Chelsea a first half lead when he headed in from close range from Salomon Kalou's cross.

But the Ghanaian midfielder was shown a red card late on at Stamford Bridge for a two-footed challenge on Clint Dempsey.

Chances were few and far between at Eastlands where Manchester City and Manchester United ended goalless, which was also good news for Arsenal - who moved to within a point of second-placed United thanks to Marouane Chamakh's double in a 2-0 win at Wolves.

The Gunners went ahead in the first minute when Alex Song crossed from the right and Chamakh rose highest to head home.

Chamakh settled Arsenal's nerves in injury-time when he got to a through-ball and sealed the points with a clinical finish, leaving Wolves in the bottom two.

West Ham remain bottom of the table after West Brom came back to earn a 2-2 draw at Upton Park.

The visitors went ahead when Luis Boa Morte pushed Steven Reid to the ground and Peter Odemwingie sent Robert Green the wrong way from the spot after 38 minutes.

West Ham were level just before half-time when Scott Parker hit a rising shot from the edge of the area.

Frederic Piquionne put the Hammers ahead from the penalty spot when he sent Scott Carson the wrong way on 50 minutes.

But the Baggies were level again when Chris Brunt's cross from the left wing picked out an unmarked Pablo Ibanez at the far post and he headed in.

Liverpool were held to a 1-1 draw at Wigan after Fernando Torres had given the visitors an early lead.

Torres outran the Wigan defence from Steven Gerrard's long through-ball to fire home from the edge of the area after seven minutes.

Wigan were denied an equaliser when Charles N'Zogbia shot from close range after a return pass from Hugo Rodallega, who was offside when he originally received the ball from N'Zogbia.

Rodallega was first to the loose ball after Jose Reina parried a cross to his feet - but one point was not enough to lift Wigan out of the relegation zone.

James Collins scored a late winner as Aston Villa won 3-2 at home to a Blackpool side which showed 10 changes.

Villa went ahead just before the half hour when Stewart Downing shot from the edge of the area and the ball was deflected off defender Dekel Keinan and past Richard Kingson.

Blackpool were on level terms on the stroke of half-time as Marlon Harewood shot home from 12 yards against his former club.

Villa had a goal ruled out for a foul by Nathan Delfouneso on Keinan as he headed home a cross from Ashley Young.

But Delfouneso did make it 2-1 on the hour when he got to Young's accurate pass through the static Blackpool defence before sliding the ball past Kingson.

Substitute DJ Campbell drew Blackpool level when his shot was deflected past Brad Friedel - but Collins snatched a late winner when he headed in from a corner.

Substitute Jason Roberts earned Blackburn all three points in a 2- win at Newcastle to move Rovers away from the drop zone.

Blackburn were ahead just three minutes in when Morten Gamst Pedersen finished from close range.

Andy Carroll headed his side level two minutes after the break but Roberts was first to a Paul Robinson clearance and shrugged off two defenders before shooting past the advancing Tim Krul to seal the win.

Ten-man Everton drew 1-1 at home to Bolton after having midfielder Marouane Fellaini dismissed in the second half.

Bolton went ahead when Matt Taylor's cross to the far post was touched in by Ivan Klasnic.

Everton were then reduced to 10 men when Fellaini was dismissed for kicking out at Paul Robinson but Jermaine Beckford curled his shot into the top corner in the fourth minute of injury time to earn his side a draw.


« Back
Publish your article with us for free
Home | About us | Contact Us | Advertising | Link to Us | Airport   Bookmark and Share Site by: Islandinfo & Maxuz Web Agency